watercolour, 21 1/4 ins x 29 1/2 ins
Francis Nicholson was originally a painter in oils of landscapes , portraits and animals. He lived in Yorkshire at various locations including Whitby. It was in Whitby that he took up painting in watercolours and exhibited for the first time at the RA in 1789. Through watercolours he achieved considerable success, as a drawing master and selling his works. In 1804 he was one of the founding members of the OWS. He resigned from the Society in 1813 to concentrate on his own work. This provided him with a large income which enabled him to study pigments and techniques and almost retire.
Share this painting
Contact The Canon Gallery about this painting
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Nr. OUNDLE, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
GALLERY 01832 280 451
MOBILE 07831 760 511